The History of Fusco’s Fish and Chips and Royal Fisheries
Fusco’s Fish and Chips began when Violet Fusco went to work for John Cross
on Burgate in Pickering, North Yorkshire in the early 1950s. In 1956 John Cross
retired so Violet and husband Dennis, who was a farm labourer, rented the shop from
him. The shop became more and more busy. Dennis’s days on the farm became
less as he helped Violet, who had taught him to fry. Their young son Peter, aged
9, also did his share of helping, chipping the spuds by hand and stoking up the
The family decided to make the move to Whitby in 1968 and took over Royal Fisheries.